Planting the Seeds of Doubt

Everybody has that person in their lives that looooves to be the "Devils Advocate" - or so they'd describe themselves as.

"The voice of reason" they say.

They take it upon themselves to tell you exactly what you feared to hear from someone, and single-handedly destroy all traces of the inner monologue.

We all know one.

Think about it...

Yeah, see? There you go.

Me? It be my mommy.

Example:

Today I went glasses shopping.

Since my mom is footing the bill, she said "Get whatever pair you'd like!" Wary, I went forth with the hopes of finding the perfect pair.

I wanted something snazy. Different, but not too different. Me, but not too me. And above all, they had to be coooool....

So after narrowing it down to about half a dozen pairs, and then narrowing them down, I settled on a very retro looking plastic pair in light yellow.

In the end, it beat out 5 other pairs!

So I left, happy with my decision.

So I telephoned my mother because I wanted to share the news!

Glasses shopping is a delicate process doncha know?

So I call my mom, tell her the news and I'm greeted with:

"Yellow? Augh, that'll get old fast."

...

Yah. No foolin'.

So okay, she maybe the "voice of reason" but then I left the mall thinking to myself:

"Ohmigod... Yellow?! What was I thinking?! That's not going to look good with anything! AHH!"

Yeah.


Planting the Seeds of Doubt.
Now my dear readers, I will share with you methods on how to cope through series of examples.
Example 1:
You: "May I please have some more potatos?"
DP: "Seconds? Really? Do you -really- think you -need- seconds?"
This is how you cope:
You: *looks the DP up and down* "I think I can afford it"
Eh? Pretty good huh?
Example 2:
You: *heading out the door*
DP: " Do you want me to get you a sweater or a jacket?"
You: "It's not cold out."
DP: " No, I know, but you might just want to, "cover up"."
This is how you cope:
You: "Why would you think I'd want to cover up?"
DP: "Well, what you've got on is a tad, revealing, isn't it?"
You: "Compared to what?"
DP: "Well, back in my day women had more shame then that. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"
You: "BECAUSE I BE TRYING TO FIND ME A BABY-DADDY!! YOU DIG?!?!"
That's actually how I handled that situation once.
I still covered up... but that's because my Doubt Planter be the Great Satan.

Comments

I can now comment on the fabulousness that is you.

Yellow glasses? I'm hella hella jealous, because as you know, yellow always goes in my world, baby.
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Worst. Blogger. Ever.

Animals and the people who love them.

Bilingual Blunder