Animals and the people who love them.

The Yuletide season is upon us. For the better prepared portion of our community, you've finished your x-mas shopping. For the bulk of my readers, you probably haven't even begun.

For most people, x-mas shopping involves wracking your brain for -the- gift that will compliment your loved ones. For others, a last minute dash to the dollar store will suffice. Then there are the people that shop for their pets. These are not only the people that buy for their pets, but also give from their pets as well.

From: Mittenz


Major corporations make millions off of these chumps pet owners by milking them for everything their worth. From holiday themed pet toys, to pictures for your best friends with Santa Claws (heh heh)

Today I received an e-flyer from PetSmart about some handy-dandy last minute gift ideas for my pets. I am the disgruntled owner of two disgusting cats. Regardless of the fact that they are ungrateful bastards, I wouldn't buy them presents strictly on the principle that they don't have thumbs, not to mention the fact that they'd probably just throw up on whatever I got them anyways, and still turn down my advances.

I don't need you.


So, if anything, today PetSmart was reminding me that I should own a dog instead of my familiars. Their flyer featured some fancy squeaky toys, some dog sweaters, an array of pet friendly collectibles. That's when I noticed something a little strange...



10% off all snakes. Surely you're not buying snakes for your loved one's this late in the game. And on sale? Apparently 2009 had an influx of snakes that they can't seem to get rid of. Frankly, I think stocking up on sale snakes to feed your even bigger snake makes more sense. Or, snake Olympics, perhaps? Did you know snakes make excellent nannies?



All joking aside though, I think what's important to remember here is that you can't put a price tag on a living creature. Sure, we do it, but it's not right. Presenting pets with gifts is a sacrificial rite that died out with the Ancient Egyptians when they stopped being revered as Gods. Consequently, it's also important that most animals can be found in the wild, for free. Food for thought.

Comments

Yve! said…
If I had the money for another snake, I'd be shitting kittens for that sale. FTW, I'm just happy normal pet stores are selling snakes at all, specialty stores charge up the goat's ass for a decent semi-domesticated snake like a ball, or a corn snake.

What I find stupid are the themed toys for pets. Really does Scruffy know or care about Santa? When he dies, will he go to heaven? fuck no, pets don't have souls, so why do they have themed toys.

I'm just saying, cheap snakes are win, themed toys are fail. Don't hate the snake!!
Ren said…
Oh yeah, themed toys are le tres ghey - I just thought it was weird to put a sale ticket on a living creature... let alone put it in an e-flyer.
Lavishmorticia said…
I am a dog person so I totally understand this. Its not that I don't like cats so much as I don't think they like me. Love reading your blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Worst. Blogger. Ever.

Bilingual Blunder

BDTS - "S.E.X." by Nickelback.