GOOD PARENTS PAY!!


So, I try hard not to bring my personal life into the humor of my blog, but I find this absolutely hilarious.

So as most of you know, I am a single parent. I'm a mommy and a daddy all rolled into one! BIONIC MOM!
Though my pregnancy with my son was both (at the time) unexpected and unwanted, I feel I've flourished as an ever-learning parent and that I'm definitely doing a bang up job.

That being said: where, you might be asking, is daddy?
Well, over the years I've learnt that blood really accounts for so little in this day in age.

Some of the issues that arise with Father Absenteeism is not only emotional support, but financial support as well. As time goes on, you realise that really, the financial support tends to outweigh the need for emotional support from a dead-beat.

Some of the realities that come with being a young, single mother, is that you can very easily get pegged as a MILF with control issues. The second you "go after his cash" is the moment you're disrupting the way of things for Senor Up-And-Leave.

Unfortunately the reality of things is that money absolutely does not grow on trees and as much as you hate to admit it, stripping with your post-natal body is NOT going to cover your baby's behind.

So you go after "Child Support"

Here in Canada, the Federal Government has put into place very strict guidelines to make sure that a child gets the financial support it needs. Within the Federal Child Support Guidelines, there is a chart that stipulates how much each child is entitled to based on the amount of income of the payee of said child support. As long as the payee is making at least $8,100 a year, the child is entitled to so much money per month.

Now, the issue with absent fathers is that they want to stay absent.
There's a reason they're neglecting their children - hence, "absenteeism".

Well, the Ministry of Community and Social Services - Family Responsibility Department has, as of 2006, created a website designed much like an incredibly toned down, user-friendly Americas Most Wanted page of want ads; only the people "wanted" on this site aren't murderers and missing persons, they're absent parents neglecting to pay their child support. The site is aptly named: http://www.goodparentspay.com/ which therefore implies that the "bad parents" are the parents who refuse to pay for their child's up bringing.

Now, this may sound off coming from a desperate single mother, such as myself, but I'm not entirely convinced I support this kind of solution management.

Basically, the website is designed to make the public aware of all the "dead-beats" out gallivanting about the world who are neglecting to pay their Ontario Child Support payments.
With approximately 18 neglectful parents on the page (consequently only one who is a mother), viewers can read a brief description of the suspect, a list of identifying marks, last known whereabouts and occupation, the whole thing seems a little extreme.

I know, I know - I bitch and moan all the time. And it's true - action has to be taken, but honestly? Mug shots? Well, "mug shot" isn't exactly the right description of the pictures on the site. The pictures of the "dead-beats" tend to be cropped versions of pictures taken from happier times - family times at that.
Some of the pictures look like they were taking were taken back in the 70's, not to mention that allot of these "dead beats" have fled the country. To me, this seems like a bit of a wild goose chase. On the one hand, I know plenty of "parents" who give their kids everything money can buy, but are certainly not "good parents". On the other hand, if you won't be there for your child, the least you could do is help pay for the gazillions of diapers they go through in their lifetime.

This kind of a thing just makes people bitter.

What would really be fun would be to call in some kind of Bounty Hunter that would hunt them down like the way a hound dog hunts pheasants and turn it into a reality TV show.


Jango be coming for yo' Baby's Daddy



Comments

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Not paying child support is a CRIME and therefore, the person in particular is a CRIMINAL. And criminals who can't be found, need to be found. And well, criminals don't listen to the law, so they don't get the same rights. IMO anyway.
Ren said…
I'm totally hearing you on this one and I want you to know that I love you for totally calling it like it is.
I guess I'm still concerned about certain people getting all pissy with me - it happens yo'.

But regardless, I still think the website is a bit of a joke. Not the concept - the website itself.
You should check it out - and THEN we could like, make a better one with all our time, and uh, mad skills?

u_u;

Popular posts from this blog

Worst. Blogger. Ever.

Animals and the people who love them.

Bilingual Blunder