The Bane of My Existence Award

As a child, Halloween was all about the adrenaline in facing all the horrors that go along with the Day of the Dead: Spooks, Vampires, Witches, Razorblades in your apples... but as you get older, Halloween becomes less about the thrill and more about the candy until eventually, you give up on the night all together. That is, until you become an adult.
Once adulthood hits, you start to long for a more simpler time. A time when the old lady living next door was likely a witch, and fruit being handed out during Trick-or-Treating was likely riddled with death traps and the Super HIV. As adults, we strive to rekindle that nostalgia thus attempting to recreate the thrill with something called the "Halloween Party".
The Halloween Party is an event less focused on candy of the Tasty variety, and more of that of the Eye variety. As adults we go to great lengths to capture the moment with the BEST Halloween costume EVER. Dishing out crap-loads of cash for the PERFECT outfit that will not only be unique, but will crush the competition with it's attention to detail. We want our costume to reflect not only our personalities, but our media-savvy as well.

However, that is not always the case...

Having become an adult in recent years, I've unfortunately been subject to the bastardization of the costume agenda by what has therefore become the bane of my existence...

The "Sexy" Costume...

Ah yes, the Halloween Whoring has become a tradition in and of itself. Sure, the Sinful Temptress get-up has been around since the dawn of time. Marilyn Monroe? A natural vixen! Milk Maids? French Maids? Little Red Riding Hood - HELL! Anything with a damn bustier, I'll let you play the 'sexy' card! But really? Aren't we going a little far?

So, Ladies and Germs, until Halloween, I will be sharing with you the champions of the most redundant and ironic of the sexy costume'age available to sell dress yourself in for the 2008 Day of the Dead.


And remember Girls:

It's okay to dress up like a slut, after all, it's HALLOWEEN!

Comments

I used to hate the "slutty" Halloween thing, ironically enough until I came to university. Then I realized that it's tragic but Halloween really is the only time of year that womyn get to dress "slutty" without the giant "slut" label being thrown on them.

So sex it up, I say!

The only real tragedy of the slutty Halloween costume I'd say is the fact that so many of the "traditional" slutty costumes are reflections of the traditional female occupations (ie: maid, nurse)
One of Freedom said…
I find the fact that someone actually makes prostitute costumes for kids completely repulsive. I just noticed that this year as we've been online looking for a specific costume for Sharon (Ariel, she has a princess thing like the rest of my girls). Typically I'm a pretty laid back guy with regard to having fun and costume choices, but there are lines I think we should not cross - kids dressed slutty is one of them.

Personally I'm going in the other direction - if I dress up it will be as Uncle Fester. I just need to get my hands on a cassock. :-)

Disturbing, but funny costume in the pic Ren.

Popular posts from this blog

Worst. Blogger. Ever.

Animals and the people who love them.

Bilingual Blunder